Texas Historical Marker Unveiling

Archived in the category: Announcements, Events, General Info, Organizations
Posted by Joyce Rhyne on 19 May 16 - 0 Comments

Honoring Martin DeLeon (1771-1834)

The connection between Martin DeLeon and Victoria County is widely known, but few realize that Calhoun County was also part of Martin DeLeon’s land grant.

Stephen F. Austin was the first to receive an empresarial grant from Mexico. Don Martin de Leon received the second grant, which helped to carve the central Texas Gulf Coast out of the wilderness and towards civilization. The Lavaca and Matagorda Bays separate these two oldest Texas land grants. Stephen F. Austin’s grant ends on the east boundary and Martin DeLeon’s land grant begins on the western boundary.

The Calhoun County Historical Commission is inviting the community to the Martin DeLeon Historical Marker Dedication on June 4, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. The dedication will begin at the Bauer Ag Building on the Fairgrounds in Port Lavaca. After the historical powerpoint presentation by sixth generation John Foester, the audience will move to the Six Mile Park for the marker unveiling. The historical site relevance will be revealed at the park site.

You may download the complete Martin DeLeon marker story at: calhouncountyhc.org

Leave a Reply

Untitled Document Visit Dolphin Talk